My wonderful hubby asked for carrot cake for his Birthday. As I love him dearly, I wanted to make him the BEST carrot cake EVER, which means it can’t just taste good to him, it also has to BE good FOR him!
Mission accomplished! I found a great recipe on Pinterst and tweaked it a bit, taking the refined sugar out and replacing it with kinder, gentler sugars. It’s a total win and I hope your love it, too!
HEAVENS TO BETSY GLUTEN FREE CARROT CAKE
• 12 oz carrots, peeled and tops removed
• ½ cup of finely chopped walnuts
• 5 large eggs
• 1 heaped tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp baking of soda
• 9 oz) of almond meal
• 1 cup of maple syrup
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
• 1 tsp of ground ginger
• CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
• 8oz of cream Neufchâtel, at room temperature
• 1/3 c of coconut oil, at room temperature
• ½ c agave
• zest and juice of half a lemon, or to taste
1. Grease two 8 inch round cake pans and preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
2. Grate the carrots using a food processor and remove the grated carrots from the bowl and set aside. Remove the grater attachment from the food processor and switch to the chopping attachment and add the walnuts and pulse until roughly chopped. Set aside with the carrots.
3. Add the remaining cake ingredients (except the carrots and walnuts) and process to combine. Finally add the carrot and walnuts and pulse to combine with the cake batter.
4. Divide the batter between the prepared springform pans and bake for 15 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool completely in the tin before removing.
5. To make the frosting combine the coconut oil and Neufchatel in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the agave and lemon juice and zest and beat for another 5 minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Cool in fridge while the cake is cooling.
6. Spread the frosting between the cake layers and over the top of the cooled cake.
This was the BOMB! When I make it again, I’m going to add one scoop of vanilla protein powder to rock the protein in this healthy treat!